Projector randomly stops drawing external power / Only charges for 5mins at a time

Do you get a blinking red - blue LED also?
It could be the charger that’s defective, so it would be great if you could test that, like at a computer store near you if possible?
You could take the PPX and try powering it with one of their chargers, and if that works there then you could buy the charger, and apply for a replacement charger from us.

No, never saw the led blinking.
It swaps directly from red (charging) to blue (not charging/operating on battery). As I said, if I plug the cable out and then in again it resumes working.
I’ll try and see if I can get hold of a powerful enough charger and try with that.

Hey @fitzgerald,

I might have a similar issue to what you mentioned:

Blockquote
…At a random point during the vision the unit stops drawing power from the charger and it runs only on battery… …When I reconnect the cable it starts functioning normally for 20/30 minutes and then disconnects again…

This happens for me as well, but when it happens the USB-C adapter is very hot (not the PPM). Is that the same for you or is the adapter not hot to the touch?

2 Likes

Good catch @GeoffAlex! I don’t know why I never thought of checking the adapter.
Now I turned it on to try and sure, the adapter is hot to the touch. Is it normal for it to be hot, @IvoGrijt ? It could be the reason why it stops working.

1 Like

A little bit warm is to be expected, but not hot to the touch really. I think it’s the charger that’s the issue, but the best way forward is to rule that out by testing with another one. This thread has many suggestions for alternative chargers, plus what to look for specs-wise: PPM Power requirement

1 Like

Hi @IvoGrijt, thanks again for the support.
I managed to get hold of a charger powerful enough to power the PPM (15v3A) and tested it: sure enough it runs smoothly. I did a test run this afternoon, the original adapter runned hot and stopped working after about 45min (as always), then I plugged in the other one and it worked fine for nearly 4h and then I stopped trying.

The problem is definitely a defective power adapter. What should I do next to get the replacement?

Thank you again!

4 Likes

Great that you found the problem, and even better that it’s the power supply and not the projector. Please send an email to support@screeneo.com where you explain the problem and also include a link to this thread.

2 Likes

@djupsjob Considering I have the exact same issue, but not tested with another adapter as I don’t have one, am I good to do the same?

1 Like

You can always contact the support by e-mail, that’s the right way to start a replacement process. I can’t promise you that they won’t ask questions and ask you to test it to make sure it’s the adapter that’s at fault.

1 Like

I’ve been using my PPM for about a week and all in all I’m quite happy with it!

My main gripe is that the PPM will switch over to Battery mode and show the blue light while plugged into wall power socket. I notice it as the screen goes black and comes back with less light with the blue status light on (Battery mode). If I take out and insert the USB-C plug or the power plug from the wall again the PPM goes back to powered mode, screen goes black, comes back with more light and shows the red status light.

This seems to happen every 2-15 minutes, I ended up timing it but couldn’t find a real pattern. I expect it’s when the battery is fully charged… it moves into battery mode instead of battery bypass/power mode. I keep having to get up every 10 minutes or so and re-plug the power to get the powered light mode back.

Usage:

• PPM on V1.0.25
  • PPM on power from wall socket
  • Using supplied charger and cable
  • Tried different sockets + with/without extension cable
  • Happens on Energy Saver and Normal mode (never use Presentation mode)
  • Happens when streaming content via dutch Ziggo Go app + Plex + Netflix (my use cases)

@PhilipsEngineering Any clue about this? Has this been reported more and any way this can be investigated?

3 Likes

There is one other such report so that makes two.

I suspect it’s due to either faulty power supply or faulty power socket. In which region are you located?

edit: could also be faulty usb-c cable, do you have another one?

I’ve been able to watch several movies without this issue happening in the meantime. Had it plugged in on V1.0.27 on Eco mode. Once V1.1.0 rolled around I moved to normal mode as the fan noise is now decent there.

Since then it’s not been able to get through a movie without the PPM switching to battery mode while plugged in.

I don’t touch anything, using the supplied usb-c ‘brick’. I’ve switched between the official and another usb-c cable, makes no difference. After a while it moves to battery mode which I can tell as the screen goes dimmer (4th LED turns off).

To get it to work properly again i need to un- and replug any part of the power connection (the socket or either end of the usb-c cable) and it’ll jump back to full power… for anywhere from 10 seconds to 10 minutes. Once it starts it’ll keep happening every so often the rest of the evening.

It’s extremely annoying to have to get up all the time to re-plug it. The power brick is also quite warm when I un/re-plug it. I don’t know much about power supply etc but I know it’s really annoying and shouldn’t happen.

• What can I do to further test this to know what causes this to happen?
  • What can I test to see if this warrants a replacement (ppm or power brick)?
  • Does the PPM actually have the advertised battery bypass?

I love this little projector, but when its on a power supply it should act as a normal powered projector and not switch to the battery all the time.

EDIT: @PhilipsEngineering Prashant, to answer your questions, I’m located in NL and I have since tried it with other USB-C cables too. Doesn’t seem to make a difference.

1 Like

Contact me via PM, perhaps we can troubleshoot using my charger and cable as well.

Just got mine today, I was really excited but then this same thing started to happen. Any workarounds? Tried a different cable, didn’t work.

@IvoGrijt @Philips_Support_P

Hi guys, I’m experiencing a similar issue.

When having it connected to power, led turn red as it indicates is charging/power mode and 10-20 min later the light turns blue, device switches to battery mode. Basically, I can only use it battery mode, battery bypass not working.

Tried a diffferent usb cable & performed factory reset. None of this worked. Any workarounds?

I searched on the forum and found that this may be a circuit issue. I dont really want to ship it back for a replacement, I just got it yesterday.

I have no experience with this issue, so I can’t really tell you what to do.

Does the PPX charge till 100% if you leave it plugged in but not on?

Can you test it with a different 45W+ USB-C Charger, at a PC shop for instance?

@Philips_Support_P

So i did the following testing and it seems to me to be a faulty usb-c adapter.

PPM SW v1.1.02
Normal brightness

Setups tested: (all with the PPM usb-c adapter)

1. Directly into power socket with PPM supplied USB-C cable
  2. Directly into power socket with different USB-C cable
  3. Via extension cord with PPM supplied USB-C cable
  4. Via extension cord with different USB-C cable

In each setup, after ~30 minutes the PPM switches to battery mode and the USB-C adapter was very hot to the touch. When unplugging and re-plugging the USB-C adapter into the power socket, or removing and reinserting the USB-C cable into the adapter the PPM switches back to powered mode for up to ~10 minutes before switching back to battery mode, every time the USB-C adapter was very hot.

This got me thinking it might be the USB-C adapter shutting down due to overheating, so I got one of those cold compresses (blue gel things you put in the freezer and apply to painful muscles etc) and wrapped it around the adapter.

Voila! I was able to watch content for over 2 hours without it ever switching to battery power. After about two hours I decided to remove the cold compress from the adapter and felt the temperature every 10 minutes. It was heating up again and after ~40 minutes the PPM switched back to battery power and the adapter was once again very hot to the touch.

Whats the process moving forward? Can I get a replacement adapter sent over? I no longer have the original packaging so can’t send the PPM back in the box it came in.

1 Like

So I bought another adapter as well which goes up to 15V3A and 20V3.25A.

Started watching content with the PPM adapter, after 26 minutes it switched to battery mode. Replugged it, was on powered mode for 8 minutes before switching back to battery mode.

So then I changed the adapter to my newly bought one, it went back to powered mode and ended up watching content for 2 hour straight without the PPM ever going back to battery mode.

I’m certain it’s the PPM adapter that’s faulty. So will contact the support team.

@IvoGrijt can you merge this topic with the one from Projector randomly stops drawing external power / Only charges for 5mins at a time?

2 Likes

Way to go, glad you got it identified and sorted. Thanks for letting us know.

Just curious, did you have true red-blue siren lights during any of this?

1 Like

Thanks, yeah I’m glad too! And nope, never got the siren lights or anything. Just steady blue on battery/full charge and steady red for charging.

2 Likes