Software Update v1.1.04 is now available

I also had a few minor issues with this update that I thought I’d report in case they’re helpful to debug in future.

• Checked for update. Told none avaiIable
  • Checked for update and this time new version found
  • Downloaded at about 4-5 MB/s until 50% then stopped.
  • After 4-5 minutes I cancelled
  • Checked for update. Told none available.
  • Checked for update and this time new version found
  • Resumed download from 50% and completed quickly.
  • Installed without problems from there on.
1 Like

Did the update without any problems. But, don’t know if it’s caused by the update or just coincidence, I have a problem pairing the airmote now. Turning on the PPM it connects instantly to the echo bluetooth. And airmote is paired but not connected so I have to connect it manualy every time.

Weird, no issues here with the airmote

1 Like

Most probably it as due to high Sharpness setting. That is why they made it 5% by default now. Otherwise the image was too sharp and the thumbnails were pixelated.

1 Like

There is definitely a bug somewhere in that “Check for update”. I have seen it in the previous update I have done and this time I left a laptop on the same WiFi access point constantly monitoring the connection and there was absolutely no glitch in the Internet connection.
Also once the update was found I had 8-9MB/s download (that is 64-72Mbps) which is very good.

@Philips_Support_P can you tell me what is the URL of the check for update that PPX is calling?

I could try calling that with curl/wget manually from a device connected in the same WiFi as PPX (or even directly from the PPX if I can install Termux or something .

1 Like

For manual download of update see INFO: How to do offline software update?

@Piotrek_Okonski there must by some kind of an automated check. PPM does not know the URL of a new image (ie like the one in the manual download).

I believe there are two ways of doing that:

1. Calling something on the download server with an argument indicating the current running SW version.
  2. Calling something on the download server which returns the latest version available and compare locally on PPM with the current SW version.

I believe 1 is better because it allows Screeneo controlling the numbering scheme of SW versions.

I guess I could reverse engineer that myself but I’m too busy to start sniffing traffic for the PPM, hence my question.

1 Like

The link always points to the latest version, regardless of Params. But I agree there must be a different endpoint which returns latest available version number.

1 Like

This is the link I see which seems to point exactly to 1.1.03.

https://ppx620.s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/PicoPixMax-v1.1.03.zip

Are you saying that when 1.1.04 (or later) will be released I could use the same link as above and get the newer one?

1 Like

Ah no, previously that post was pointing to a generic endpoint that always updated to the latest version , not to the exact file. But seems it is now edited manually to the S3 storage of specific version. Sorry for the confusion, I should have checked first.

I guess PhilipsNono will keep editing the post with links to latest versions manually now.

1 Like

Correct. It doesn’t know, so it tells the server what it has, and the server replies with the right file if there’s a newer version.

That is exactly what I was looking for, the URL for this check so I can run it manually.

http://rk-ota.picopix.com/OtaUpdater/android?product=PPX620&version=1.0.26

2 Likes

Same experience for me (except I did not try Airplay yet); update went well. Did not install disney+ (via procedure from TopiPuti in “Dutch users - Working Streaming apps”) because link to SAI ( "Now download SAI [https://apk.support/download-app/com.aefyr.sai/1569816000_vs-2.8 ](https://apk.support/download-app/com.aefyr.sai/1569816000_vs-2.8 ") is reported by Norton as a dangerous site. Installed app for watching TV that works well too.

Thanks alot Ivo! I’ve tried running curl directly from my phone playing with the version parameter and found that as long as that is something lower than 1.1.03 it will receive a 200 HTTP code and start downloading the image immediately. If you pass 1.1.03 (tried also 1.1.04) you get 404 HTTP code (Page not found) and no other content.

If found that in all cases where a download was supposed to start, it actually did albeit I did not wait for all my attempts to finish the download.
So it was very reliable.
Seems that the issue is somewhere in the update code on PPM which doesn’t not read properly the server answer.

2 Likes

All the apps re-appeared, don’t know how

After the update, projector is not saving the keystone correction, every start up I need to manually do it again, never had this issue before with previous versions.

HDMI-CEC available yet ?

The client side has bugs. The server side also uses non-standard HTTP headers in its reply and runs on top of Tomcat, preventing us from using a more reliable CDN. We are planning to replace it with a more stable system on top of plain https, and also rewrite the client-side updater. It will let us issue app updates without whole OS updates.

2 Likes

Hi @GiacomoR do you mean vertical keystone correction, or 4-corner-correction? Are you using Manual or Auto Keystone?