Sonos integration

any update Ivo? Has all future PPM firmware development now been shelved?

This is so disheartening to hear. Being more specific, of course they will be working on new devices - no problem with that. However, its disheartening to hear that that effort is taking away focus from current devices. I had expected 2 years of solid software improvements on my PPM, but alas, that has turned out to be minor bug fixes.

2 Likes

It won’t be the first, or last time consumers fall for the empty promises of large corps. Hopefully the PPM will last 2 years bare minimum.

1 Like

Any update on this?

Best Regards.

1 Like

Is PPM ever going to integrate the wifi protocol to comunicate with Sonos?

Dont hold your breath, they have no reason too and have openly said it was never promoised, so id forget about it. I have, and it was a huge reason for me backing the project along with Hue support.

It was promised in the IGG campaign… But they don’t care about it.

2 Likes

Bump

Very disappointed that Philips is not communicating any plans to get this done.

1 Like

And? How is it going?

1 Like

@IvoGrijt, @PhilipsNono , @Philips_Support_P It’s been so long. I think it’s about time to let us know if you’re going to keep your promise for Sonos support or not,

Hello guys, yes PhilipsEngineering will answer you today or tomorrow. We are currently testing an app that would solve the issues but we need root access and then close it as rooting a projector is not compatible with Netflix Widevine.

2 Likes

Thank you. Hope that there will be something to help us all. I’ve been struggling to find a solution. At one side, PPM doesn’t have Google Play Store, so apps like SonosTube, that solve the problem at least for Youtube and local videos cannot be used (tried it). On other - even though it is not official Android device (because of which it doesn’t have GMS) it is locked as any other even more than some others because of DRM content (as far as I remember that was the reason for not letting us have the Android rooted) - so apps like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.airmusic.trial&hl=en&gl=US cannot be used neither. So we have the needed hardware, it is possible to have it working on a software level but because of a few known specific decisions from PPM makers we are not able to use any of them and not having the promised Sonos integration neither … So since I sense negative news coming on the topic - please at least unlock the Android audio in a way that the apps like Airmusic is “catching” it in order to cast it to Sonos. I hope that unlocking only audio won’t violate DRM security requirements. After all since it can be casted over bluetooth then it should be available for any other kind of separate use or at least that sounds logical. Another approach might be to contact Airmusic developers and ask them to sell you the code, since their app does something that PPM needs being mobile device (wireless cast its audio to other devices) and integrate it and then no need for “unlocking” Android audio, but I guess that is not going to happen for obvious reasons - money.

P.S. Just saw your comment’s edit - exactly what I hoped for. This just made my day - at least I have a hope now - after long time and many tries by myself :slight_smile:

Yes this is the app we are currently testing. Direct sonos integration does’t work because they require to build an online server to drive all the traffic. Let me test SonosTube also

2 Likes

@PhilipsNono , SonosTube works as long as you can authorise that you have paid for it (tested on another device). I tested it on PPM in trial and it worked. I’m paid user but can not authorise it on PPM because there is no Google Play Store. However SonosTube doesn’t solve the problem as overall - it can cast only local video files and youtube videos which is great but what if I’m watching Kodi or Netflix? That is why Airmusic would be better. The only drawback of Airmusic compared to SonosTube is that Airmusic is using Android audio which is only stereo while Sonostube for local video files can cast Dolby digital surround if the video file is properly coded but it is not very convinient since Sonostube is doing some transcoding of the audio which for long video files takes really long time (tested on Samsung Galaxy S8 which is quite fast on pretty much any other task). Sonostube extracts the audio stream from the file and sens it the way it is to Sonos. So the best would be to have them both :slight_smile: but if I can choose one of them I would most definetly recommend Airmusc as solution for PPM. Another thing that should be taken in mind - there is no way to have any audio casted to Sonos without delay - this is known to all of us that have used it for casting audio to it from another device that plays the image of the video. Sonostube has integrated video delay setting but in any other way it is very hard to use - even for finding youtube videos. Airmusic will let other users of PPM to be able to cast its audio to not only Sonos but pretty much any kind of wireless speaker - airplay, samsung multiroom and so on. It won’t be perfect for video games since the audio will be a bit delayed (there is nothing that can be done - this kind of audio transfer has and always will have at least a bit of delay) but for playing videos there are a lot ot players like VLC, Kodi and others that will allow video delay to sync audio and video. I hope this helps because I have tested both of those apps a lot and some others. Please ask me if there is anything that I can help you with - info about those apps or testing. I’m a beta tester of PPM and just installed the latest beta firmware and I’m happy with it :slight_smile: P.S. I forgot another drawback of SonosTube - from 10 random video files more than half of them were not played on Sonos - the codec of the audio was not compatible - either DTS or something else that Sonos doesn’t play at all, while if I tested the same file to play on PPM via VLC or Kodi - works like charm. So one more reason to chose Airmusic.

1 Like

@Philips_Support_P, @PhilipsNono, Hello , I really don’t want to be pushy but that “today or tomorrow” was like 5 days ago :slight_smile: The feeling of having the needed hardware for a great home theater experience and just not being able to use it is really annoying. So are there any news? Did you test those apps, especially the Airmusic with rooted PPM? Anything at all?

Hi @vzhivkov we have definitely started working on this now, but still in early stages. We don’t have concrete information to share. However, let me know if you’d be willing to help us test this. We will send you a test version. The earliest ETA for that is next week though - at the moment still waiting for the Systems guys to prepare the rooted image for including AirMusic.

3 Likes

@PhilipsEngineering Please let me know if I can help testing as well.
Best Regards

1 Like

YES, YES, YES, PLEASE! As I wrote a few comments up I’m a developer myselft, I’m beta tester for PPM, so I will be able to do this test even if it requires rooting the PPM.

3 Likes