type of projection screen

Going to order one on Friday, so if you received it by any chance till now would be great to share thoughts/pictures. Thanks.

Sorry I havenā€™t gotten back to you.

I tried to use the screen last Saturday, but as it was folded for shipping it was full of folds in it, which I had to iron out. At one point either the iron was too hot or I steamed too much, but the fabric got some sort of smudging in it that I now notice while projecting. Also the screen (itā€™s more of a cloth really) is highly reflective, but was unusable outside which is where I wanted to use it, but it was so light outside that it reflected every single lightsource. The image was also dim once you moved off center, viewing angles weten good from a side. I still have to test it inside and in the dark, but Iā€™m not quite happy with it, perhaps the reverse side works better. If you can hold off ordering just a little bit Iā€™ll try to use it inside and film a bit of what Iā€™m seeing, okay?

Iā€™m not saying itā€™s a bad nor a good product, itā€™s just different than I expected, and perhaps Iā€™m not using it correctly.

1 Like

For home use Iā€™m very happy with my wall that I repainted and dedicated to the projector,
but I do want to find a foldable durable screen for outdoor use especially camping trips or outdoors next summer, something that can be nailed or hang on a wall or tied to a tree perhaps

Thanks Ivo, Iā€™m actually planning to mainly use the screen outside, since inside I have a pretty good wall and I donā€™t want to hang anything on it :slight_smile: . I still think to go with the 100 inch option cause at this price point it seems OK. Iā€™ll actually bring it to a trailor to strengthen edges and add clips to be able to stretch it good outside.

About the viewing angle, how much do you think it is? Like 20-30-40 degrees? Of course the more the better but I think for occasional use outside, you wonā€™t need that much.

Iā€™ll wait with the order for next week, so if you can share more information and maybe some pictures thatā€™d be great!

Thanks!

Dude thatā€™s some mixed messages
And I personally donā€™t think for a projector especially at this range viewing angle will matter much with what ever type of screen

1 Like

Sorry if it sounds like this but I pointed out that at home, Iā€™m using my wall, so wonā€™t be using a screen. And Iā€™m saying ā€œoccasional use outsideā€ cause Iā€™ll be watching movies outside like once/twice per month ā€¦in the warm months. ā€¦so I can live with it not being perfect :). Also about the reflection, I plan to watch on it when going camping, where the only thing thatā€™ll be reflecting from the screen will be the PPM light and maybe some fire. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ha sorry my mistake just a quick read thought differently, anyway my use case is just about identical to yours , but from the pictures it doesnā€™t look to be very durable for outdoor use especially with the stick on patches it seem more suited to a flat wall indoors, as for viewing angle I still feel the same way that a screen shouldnā€™t make any difference on a projector, itā€™s the size that matters after all when we go to a cinema we still try and find the better viewing seats, and the bigger the screen the more better viewing angles

As you can see from the video, the viewing angle is best within about 20Ā° of center.

As you can see in the images below with a corner removed and showing the white wall behind, the white wall is actually much brighter at an angle then the screen is.
From my sitting position next to the projector

To the left side of the screen. I kept the exposure and focus locked on my iPhone from this picture on the left side of the screen for the next 2 pics.

Right behind the projector

To the right side of the screen

In this shot you can also see the spots in the cloth at the top end, which I donā€™t know came from my ironing or from the package like that, as Iā€™ve read other buyersā€™ reviews and some also commented on spots on the sheets.

These are some other shots of the screen, from sitting right next to the PPX and having it at roughly the same height as my eyes.

I think I wouldā€™ve liked to have a different fixing mechanism. Iā€™m going to try to see if I can fit O-rings to it, then I could span it up outside. In hindsight I shouldā€™ve gotten the biggest size they offer, 133ā€.
They do have it on sale for the next 7 hours or so.

For use indoors I think I prefer a stiffer, rollout screen. Iā€™m going to shop for something like that later on.

4 Likes

Great Ivo, thank you for the extensive info! I like the contrast of the photos youā€™ve posted.
But you are right, seems a bit too reflective and saturated.

Iā€™m researching for a good thick enough screen but nothing decent enough there on the portable front. :slight_smile: All seem the same.

So I decided, Iā€™ll just wait for the PPM to get delivered, then go to a curtain store to get some samples. I have a thick blackout curtain in my bedroom and I believe a white/grey version will be great. Iā€™ll then give it to a sewer to reinforce the edges, add O-rings on the sides and frames top and bottom so I can then rollup the screen, not fold it and create creases.

Iā€™ll go to a store next week to prepare and weā€™ll see. Iā€™ll keep you updated on the result :slight_smile: Letā€™s just hope the PPM went airborn yesterday for me and get it before my bday mid June :slight_smile:

Cheers,

1 Like

A lot of recommendations and thoughts on screens. I have the problem that Iā€™m searching for a screen which can be folded into a small package.

It should basically fit into the bag I bought for the PPM so that I have all things together.

My main use is outdoors - especially when traveling with our van - so Iā€™ll fix it with magnets to the car.

So anybody found a screen that can be folded into a small package?

1 Like

A lot of options. You have to consider the screen gain, contrast, reflection, thicknessā€¦ Iā€™ve bee searching for such portable option for a long time now and finaly decided to make one of my own.

I was just at a curtain store where they sell all kinds of fabrics. Iā€™m considering a blackout grey-ish polyester/cotton fabric with silk effect- thick enough to stop back light, reflective enough for dark conditions and grey enough to boost contrast without sacrificeing brightness. Good blackout faric is around 15 EUR for 1 linear metre.
Iā€™ll have to test next week with my other projector Xgimi H1 directly in the store cause they donā€™t have samples I can take home.
I already went to a hardware store and chose really good aluminum tubes that fit perfectly together and can be easily disattached and carried arround.
Iā€™ll get thr fabric next weekend most probably with all other materials. Then some seweing and should be fine. Iā€™m still thinking to aim for 88 or bigger screen :).

1 Like

The screen cloth I have is very thin and folds down nicely, but it creases easily. The viewing angles might not be so nice for the outdoor use you intend to have though.

Iā€™m using this one and absolutely love it. Easy to put up and take down.
Vamvo Outdoor Indoor Projector Screen with Stand Foldable Portable Movie Screen 120 Inch (16:9) Full-Set Bag for Home Theater Camping and Recreational Events https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07C5FF51Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_N0oYEbYC6Z1XD

1 Like

This one seems to have good review, some PPM user have also posted its review there. Also, it have both white and grey side.

1 Like

Wow, this is heavyā€¦3.2kg

Any link to what you bought? It donā€™t need to be perfectā€¦

Let us know what you find out and decidedā€¦

For attachment I was thinking about tent poles. The ones made out of carbon fiber and have a flexible cord inside. Those are pretty stable and easy to fold.

1 Like

For a 120ā€screen with stand ???

Unfortunately they all out of stock in more than one amazon site, but this one is cheap for anyone that wants an indoor screen
120" Inch Electric Motorised Projector Screen Home Theatre HD TV Projection 3D | eBay

2 Likes

Link is earlier in this thread, just scroll back up.

@aero the one you linked to is the same material and quality, all filmed from (almost) straight behind the projector, no images from an angle. Thatā€™s why it also doesnā€™t support (ultra) short throw projectors. :bulb: