The enduring battery in streaming mode
The airmouse remote,
The input lag.

The Bad

The contrast,
Loss of focus,
Incomplete menus,
Out-of-box colorimetry to be corrected

For me personally, the biggest dissapointment is the contrast which is really low. But the main conclusion is still a positive one but you have to keep in mind the portability when judging the device.

@Philips_Support_P the review mentions that battery life is only around 1h20 when using hdmi input. That does not make sense to me since the smart part of the ppm is essentially turned off. If anything, battery life should be longer. What am I missing here?

Thanks!

1 Like

battery life : between 1:10 and 1:25 in HDMI why ??? it was announced 3 hours
Can you improve that ?

Are there other reviews ?
You have sent the projector to others bloggers ?

I think it is a very expensive pico projector, the real question is :
Is it worth its price? (1080 ā‚¬ TTC in France)

I havenā€™t tried using the battery while using HDMI but I will try it to test.
So far in my tests, I can get 4:15 hrs in energy saver mode and 2:45-3 hrs in normal mode when using internal system. I actually assume using HDMI should be less power hungry since all processing are done outside the projector.

1 Like

Wasnā€™t Gregory supposed to receive the profile tweaking application?

Apparently, he did not use it or maybe wasnā€™t aware?

Iā€™ve asked Gregory who made the review for passionhomecinema.fr if the projector worth its price and he answered me :
ā€œil est beaucoup trop cher.ā€ that mean : ā€œit is much too expensiveā€

I agree!!
It should cost about ā‚¬500 + VAT not ā‚¬899 + VAT

This is definitely not the typical case. Iā€™ve run longer than that. Iā€™m doing a power saver battery run with HDMI right now, will edit this post with a time when it dies.
However, Iā€™m pretty certain the ā€œsmartā€ Android part is still somewhat awake when in HDMI/USBC input mode. Itā€™s just not being output to the projection engine.

Edit: it shut off without warning at 4h40m

3 Likes

I did the same test today and reached around 5 hr (extrapolated based on 2 hr of testing). Iā€™m in contact with Gregory, hope to find the root cause of the low play time he got.

4 Likes

Thank you, @danopia! 4h40m is excellent!

1 Like

Hi Prashant, is there a way to improve the contrast from what Gregory tested? E g. Via software update or through tuning

I tested the battery life just now and would like to share my results.

Firmware is latest .25. Energy Saving mode. Projected onto a 10-inch wall (which I donā€™t think matters). Sound volume is zero (because I was secretly testing in my office). Playing 1080p MP4 movie files loaded on Sandisk Ultra 128GB microSD card using internal VLC app.

PPMax suddenly shutdown after playing for about 3h50m.

I would say thatā€™s pretty good considering that published specifications only stated 3 hours.

3 Likes

So I just got my ppm yesterday and spend some time with it. So far I am very excited and super satisfied. Brightness is more then enough and speaker quality is also not that bad for this size of projector.
Noise is adequate, but itā€™s totally normal that you have to cool this thing if you turn up the brightness.

Things that I donā€™t like

• Streaming content in firefox is really laggy
  • Translation of UI is imperfect
  • No onboarding (will be addressed in a future software update)
  • Finish of the projector (like a magnet for fingerprints)

What I like most

• Brightness
  • Colors
  • UI
  • AirMote

Note: I will update the post with new impressions.

3 Likes

Try installing Chrome. So far streaming works fine on it.

1 Like

Thanks @pascalmtts for you feedback.

What gives hope is that, excepting the finish of the projector, your ā€œThings that I donā€™t likeā€ can be improved by software update.
And for the finish, in the (too many) messages exchanged in Indiegogo comments, Philips said that they will sell a bumper which I assume will be less subject to fingerprints.

Thats right. I donā€™t use external inputs like HDMI so I have no problems with 4 corner correction or digital zoom not working for external inputs.
Thanks @kugiigi, I will try chrome for streaming.

Received today,
Iā€™m sorry for all the people who worked on it, the engineers and so onā€¦
The product is very disappointing!
It makes a lot of noise, impossible to watch a movie next to itā€¦ and Iā€™m in eco modeā€¦ in presentation mode it looks like the ppm is going to take off on the moon !!!

Concerning the image itā€™s very bad, the definition is horrible.
The device itself is cute, very compact but it stops thereā€¦

For those who know, my lenovo yoga tab has a better image. Concerning the parameters nothing is practical, itā€™s really a headache. Big disappointmentā€¦ even at 500ā‚¬ itā€™s extremely expensive for what it is! I donā€™t think it will sell for 900ā‚¬ā€¦

1 Like

One thing that surprised me a bit negatively as well for sure is the noise level. Didnā€™t expect it to be that loud.

Normal mode:

18:28:48,542 Uncalibrated response:
18:28:48,542 Black level = 0.3678 cd/m^2
18:28:48,542 50% level = 25.22 cd/m^2
18:28:48,542 White level = 80.95 cd/m^2
18:28:48,542 Aprox. gamma = 1.68
18:28:48,542 Contrast ratio = 220:1
18:28:48,542 White chromaticity coordinates 0.3196, 0.3385
18:28:48,542 White Correlated Color Temperature = 6096K, DE 2K to locus = 6.4
18:28:48,542 White Correlated Daylight Temperature = 6097K, DE 2K to locus = 2.1
18:28:48,542 White Visual Color Temperature = 5899K, DE 2K to locus = 6.2
18:28:48,542 White Visual Daylight Temperature = 6038K, DE 2K to locus = 2.0
18:28:48,542 Effective Video LUT entry depth seems to be 8 bits
18:28:48,542 White drift was 0.000000 DE

1 Like

Guys, Iā€™m getting even more excited from reading all comments here. Looks like with a sufficient powerbank Iā€™ll have no issues going camping with the PPM and watching multiple movies on a single charge, wow.

Contrast is the most dissapointing I think. Did you measure it yourself? What is your impression of the image? :slight_smile:

Thanks!