Troubleshooting: Projector won't power on / no picture display / shuts down soon after starting

If your PicoPix Max doesn’t power on, or it shut down while using it, follow these steps to identify the issue:

Check Power Adapter and USB cable

• Are you pressing and holding the power button (on the projector or the remote) for a few seconds?
  • Are you using the supplied power adapter and USB-C cable?
  • Do you see red/blue flashing LED on plugging in the charger? This means the power adapter you’ve connected is not supported. Please use the supplied power adapter.

If you’re using the supplied adapter and cable, continue to the next section.

Check battery charge status

• Make sure the projector is powered OFF.
  • Connect the power adapter to the projector. Make sure you plug it into the right side USB-C port (charging port), not the left side (video port)!
  • Does the LED turn red? If yes, let it charge for 3 hours until the LED turns blue. Then unplug it, and power it on. Does it work?
  • If the LED doesn’t light up at all, check that:
    • the adapter is receiving power from the wall socket.
    • do you have another USB-C device? Can the PicoPix adapter charge that device? If not, the adapter may be faulty.
  • If the LED lights up blue, it means the battery is fully charged. Continue to next section.

Check display problems

If your projector can turn on but doesn’t display any picture, check this as you power on the projector:

• Do you see the white Philips logo startup screen?
    • if yes, but there is no picture afterwards, check that all cables (HDMI / USB-C) are unplugged.
    • does pressing the home button on the remote or touchpad causes the home screen to appear?
    • does pressing the autofocus button on the remote show the focusing screen?
  • Does the projector power off shortly after showing the home screen? It could be a thermal shutdown. check next section.

Thermal shutdown

If you don’t see the Philips startup screen, or the projector powers off soon after starting up, check the following:

• Do you hear the fan spinning up when you power on the projector?
  • Do you have at least 30 cm free space on all sides of the projector to allow free movement of air?
  • What is the altitude of your city? (the atmosphere might be thin!)
  • What is the room temperature where you’re using the projector?
3 Likes

I follow the procedure but no light at all , plug HDMI cable my computer able to notice the monitor is active but no picture from PPM

Hi,
My Picopix has a lot of bugs.
Sometimes it just blocks on the image. It continues to play the sound during few seconds and it stops too.
And then it’s just blocked. I need to restart it several times before having something working.
It does it when it’s charging as when it’s not.

Concerning your questions:

• light is blue when it’s charged,
  • temperature is just normal (I’m in Paris, in my bedroom…),
  • I’m using the supplied adapter and cable,
  • I see the philips logo (sometimes no) and the autofocus is working
  • I’m not using any cable (hdmi or else), I just use the Netflix app.
  • I head the fan spinning up
  • I have at least 30cm free space

Can you help please?

I’ve sent an email to you 3 days ago… no answer!

Thanks

@Philips_Support_P
Hi

I am living in japan , and received it recently.
It seemed that there is no outstanding damage on carton.
However, it can not show any picture at all!
it seemed that “fan” and “focusing motor” is alive, but no response of imaging.
Actually, all solution you mentioned in the thread was done.
Then, I want to ask you below
1, Is there any further detailed steps of solution of this matter?
2, In case I need any support for refund or any technical support, who should I ask for?
I am living in Japan, so please help me!!

Thanks,

Hi, in this case please email bugreport@screeneo.com, paste this threads url and ask for a replacement. It will be exchanged.

• Are you pressing and holding the power button (on the projector or the remote) for a few seconds? :Yes
  • Are you using the the supplier power adapter and USB-C cable? :
    Yes
  • Do you see red/blue flashing LED on plugging in the charger? This means the power adapter you’ve connected is not supported. Please use the supplied power adapter. :
    The first time it happend it showed red blue light. It was in middle of projecting a video. It stopped and then never played again.

Yes I am using the same one provided by Philips.

• Connect the power adapter to the projector. Make sure you plug it into the right side USB-C port (charging port), not the left side (video port)!
  • Does the LED turn red? If yes, let it charge for 3 hours until the LED turns blue. Then unplug it, and power it on. Does it work?
  • If the LED doesn’t light up at all, check that:
    • the adapter is receiving power from the wall socket.
    • do you have another USB-C device? Can the PicoPix adapter charge that device? If not, the adapter may be faulty.
  • If the LED lights up blue, it means the battery is fully charged. Continue to next section.

No BATTERY ISSUE. I can hear sound. I can even listen audio in airplay.

Check display problems

If your projector can turn on but doesn’t display any picture, check this as you power on the projector:

• Do you see the white Philips logo startup screen?
    • if yes, but there is no picture afterwards, check that all cables (HDMI / USB-C) are unplugged.
    • does pressing the home button on the remote or touchpad causes the home screen to appear?
    • does pressing the autofocus button on the remote show the focusing screen?
  • Does the projector power off shortly after showing the home screen? It could be a thermal shutdown. check next section.
    No effect. I tried pressing button,touchpad etc. No change in display.

Thermal shutdown

If you don’t see the Philips startup screen, or the projector powers off soon after starting up, check the following:

• Do you hear the fan spinning up when you power on the projector?
  • Do you have at least 30 cm free space on all sides of the projector to allow free movement of air?
  • What is the altitude of your city? (the atmosphere might be thin!)
  • What is the room temperature where you’re using the projector?
    Yes I can hear fan spinning , My city is 150 m above sea level. There is enough air movement. And room temprature is 22 Celsius (72 Farenheit)…

I am sure its a hardware issue. I am really worried @Philips_Support_P. I have emailed them thrice already. No response. What should I do next. I posted the same on my original thread here PicoPix Projection stopped . Can hear fan. Can also listen audio through airplay.
Regards,
Mani.

Hi, which is the email you wrote to for this? The correct one should be support@screeneo.com for returning shipped units (whether defective or refund). This is the global support line.

I hope this gets resolved quickly.

Cheers,

Let me know if there is anything other I can do other than returning

• Are you pressing and holding the power button (on the projector or the remote) for a few seconds? YES
  • Are you using the supplied power adapter and USB-C cable? YES
  • Do you see red/blue flashing LED on plugging in the charger? This means the power adapter you’ve connected is not supported. Please use the supplied power adapter. SOLID BLUE

• Does the LED turn red? If yes, let it charge for 3 hours until the LED turns blue. Then unplug it, and power it on. Does it work? Check Power Adapter and USB cable

• Are you pressing and holding the power button (on the projector or the remote) for a few seconds?

• Are you using the supplied power adapter and USB-C cable?

• Do you see red/blue flashing LED on plugging in the charger? This means the power adapter you’ve connected is not supported. Please use the supplied power adapter.

• Does the LED turn red? If yes, let it charge for 3 hours until the LED turns blue. Then unplug it, and power it on. Does it work? Turned blue

Check display problems

• Do you see the white Philips logo startup screen? NO
  • Does the projector power off shortly after showing the home screen? It could be a thermal shutdown. check next section. NO

Thermal shutdown

• Do you hear the fan spinning up when you power on the projector? YES
  • Do you have at least 30 cm free space on all sides of the projector to allow free movement of air? YES
  • What is the altitude of your city? (the atmosphere might be thin!) Live in sydney
  • What is the room temperature where you’re using the projector? 20 Celsius
1 Like

Just got mine yesterday (in Australia) and it looks like I have this issue. Tried all the steps in this thread, but there is no picture at all.

I guess I’ll need a replacement. Can someone confirm if the correct email address is bugreport@screeneo.com or support@screeneo.com ?

support@screeneo.com is the right address

Sorry to hear about your unit’s issues by the way.

1 Like

Hi @Clive_Rossiter I’m beginning to suspect that it’s because the battery might not be fully charged. Can you please plug in the charger while the projector is off, and leave it for a few hours till it’s fully charged. Does the projector turn on afterwards?

I charged it for about 3 hours. The light went from red to blue while charging. The machine definitely turns on as I can hear a fan noise.

Thanks. I’ve sent them an email.

Mine was dead on arrival, turns on, fans spin but no light is emmited.

Wnt through all the troubleshooting steps, charged it, blue led is on, the Fans are constantly spinning, has been running like this for 10 min without shutting off.

Tried plugging in different sources, nothing…

Really dissapointed right now…

Thanks

Sometimes when the HDMI cable is plugged in the PPM remote doesn’t work. Once you power it on you can’t turn it off via the remote. You have to use the power button on PPM. Has anyone faced this issue? It happens all the time. Help please @Philips_Support_P @IvoGrijt

I’ll test this out tomorrow morning for you and get back to you

Hi @IvoGrijt - Did you get a chance to test it out yet? Thanks!

I can turn it on and off just fine with the HDMI input being used.
Just to be sure, I even tried to turned it off while hiding the remote in a black pillow so as to not allow any IR light to still get to the PPM, and sure, it turned off alright. It returns briefly to the Android home menu to show you the Powering off animation, and then shuts down.

Remember though that to prevent accidental turning off of the projector, you have to press and hold the power button on the remote for at least 2 seconds. Perhaps you’re pressing it too short?

Ok thanks @IvoGrijt! By default when you turn the PPM on with the HDMI cable plugged in it defaults to the HDMI input? Is that normal?